Saturday, March 9, 2013

"The Killing Joke" Comic Review

 
     For a different change of pace I thought I would give a short review every now and then on some of, what I think, have been the most influential comics I have ever read. Looking into my closet every now and then I keep seeing books I have read, books I want to read, and some I just keep around for nostalgia. The first one that always catches my eye is "The Killing Joke," by Alan Moore. You may see another one of his books, "Watchmen," make it onto my list of books to review for the future; but for now I would like to talk about "The Killing Joke."
     If you have ever had the urge to look up the origin of the Joker, this is the book you would more than likely end up with in your hands. Not only is it an origin story it is also the story that explains Barbara Gordon's paralysis which leads into her transition from Batgirl to Oracle. 
     What I love about this book more than most is the way it makes you feel about the Joker. Whereas in most stories we have come to know him as the villain, here we begin to realize how much of a victim he was, and what drove him to become the Clown Prince of Crime. The story dives into the Joker's past life, which even in the Joker's words announces, "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past I prefer it to be multiple choice," so we can never really tell if what we have read is the truth or not. I suppose that's the escape clause the DC universe has to modify his origins in other stories. I do find the Joker's monologue near the end of the story both riveting and poetic. I was taking a poetry class at one point in my college career and this was my second choice for my favorite poem, only to be beaten out by Rorschach's opening dialogue from "Watchmen." That was only because it was much simpler to do the Rorschach voice than the Joker's. However I did find a wonderful rendition of the Joker's monologue with CGI; it has become one of my favorite videos which you can view below.

No comments:

Post a Comment