Thursday, April 11, 2013

Banner and Hulk in the context of Jekyll and Hyde


     Recently in one of my classes we were assigned to read The Curious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The final chapter of that book was a letter that Henry Jekyll had left his friend explaining that everything that had happened during the first part of the book was entirely true, and that he was in fact Mr. Edward Hyde. For our final project of the class my teacher allowed us the option to rewrite a portion of one of the texts from the class. I felt it was a golden opportunity to put two things I loved to good use; those being comics and writing. So here it is, my adaptation of Dr. Banner and Mr. Hulk.




To whom it may concern,
            My name is Dr. Bruce Banner, and this letter will serve as both my confession and my reconciliation with the world. At the time of your viewing this letter I am either dead or, at the very least, I have allowed my sins to consume me, both mind and body. For the sake of those I love, I pray it be by death that they may be spared the knowledge that you are about to partake of. Within these last simple words you shall come to know the truth of my horrendous ordeal that was both my life’s work and my lifelong curse. Alas, before you subject yourself to this message, be wary that what prayers you may have for me now will soon wilt within shame; for when you have heard my story you shall see no justification regarding my actions, and if but only one request be granted me by God, it be that He show you mercy in this; for I too feel as you soon shall feel, you will see through my eyes, and the truth shall give me no quarter from those who may judge righteously.
            My story begins a few years back, the exact dates I can no longer recall, but the duality of my life feels like I have lived for two men rather than only one. I had sought out to use my youthful but ignorant knowledge to better the world through the use of gamma radiation. The government had hired me to find a means that would save lives in the battlefield by using the radiation as an accelerant that could diffuse hostile situations in times of crisis. Of course this knowledge was never presented to me upon the request that I continue my research under the watchful eye of a government facility. I was naive and a different man than what I am now; the promise of greatness at my fingertips was more than enough to wet my appetite, and my palate was eager to experiment with new things. Little did I know that soon I would learn the error of my thinking, and the realization that men are only capable of deceiving one another is by first deceiving themselves.
            It was only another year that would go by until happiness fell into my life again. My work had become my jealous lover when I was given my assistant, Betty Ross. Betty was magnificent; she stole my breath away from the moment I had first laid eyes on her; and still to this day I have found no equal or opposite to her. We had only started dating when my accident took place; I wish I had had more time with Betty, but much like Frankenstein’s monster I was condemned to walk a solemn road of restlessness. I could not bring myself to share the truth of my work with Betty and therefor saw it wise to forsake her to a life of warmth and love rather than the path I have smashed out for myself.
            It was as poetic as any conventional horror story; one night while working late in my laboratory, an accident occurred while I was working with the gamma rays. Explosions, screaming, and destruction were all that would follow me for the rest of my life. What was once the work of turning men into gods became my vice and exaltation. Yes, this was the manifestation of my inner demon. The intense feeling of power became so intoxicating that I began to believe what people were calling me; indestructible, incredible, unstoppable, were but a few that come to mind. Many newspapers had many names, but one always remained the same; HULK.
            Over the next few months I wrestled with myself in reverence of the beast. Its power was magnificent, but justifying its thirst for destruction was what waned heavily upon my soul. It pains me to write these truths but I only do so that every man may become privy of my mistakes. Eventually I learned that anger was what called forth the beast from the depths of my consciousness; and at times I would beckon it for my own sinful pleasures. Perhaps it is true that the nature of man is the cause of calamity; and I pray you dear reader, forgive me for when I say that living in the shell of my doppelganger, I found paradise.
            Now my story must draw to a close, for even as I write this letter with regret hanging in my heart, I can feel the beast climbing his way out from the pit. The creature has no boundaries and has surpassed all surmountable odd thrown at him; and I am but a single man of no consequence. Truth be told, I am surprised as to how long I have been able to contain my Abaddon; my strength and will have wavered many nights these last few years and quite frankly I am tired. I fear that the beast seeks to consume me now and as I write these words you will take notice that my hand shakes wildly. If this is to be the last legacy I leave behind, I wish it to reveal the damnation that consumes me, and that it allow to fade silently away into the dust from whence I was conceived; but for the creature, let he live to be a testimony to those who seek godhood. I pray once his task has been served that he be dealt with swiftly and to no fault of those who swing the mighty axe of execution. Let the tyranny of the Hulk forever stand as a warning to those men who seek power; let them see how the fruits of their labors spoil before the harvest.
            My pain grows sharper now, both mentally and physically. My beloved Betty, I pray you not learn of this letter, but if it comes to that please know that the man I once was died years ago. The pieces of my heart have become too broken from the destruction I have caused in this world, but my life without you has shattered those fragmented remnants. I beg of you to forgive this wretch of a man inside a hollow machine of emerald. I was blinded by my own guilt and saw it fitting that my last act of humanity be one of piece and not chaos; to let you live a life of your own away from my madness proves that still some part of me remains, even when all seems clouded by rage. I love you Betty, and I beg that you try to find it in your heart to forgive me.
“Whenever science makes a discovery, the devil grabs it while the angels are debating the best way to use it.”  ~Alan Valentine

Unhappily,
            Dr. Bruce Banner
#
     I hope you enjoyed reading my work and would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding this piece. Your criticism helps me become a better writer and so I humble request it. Please feel free to leave any comments below and if you would like to be updated when I add to my blog be sure to LIKE me on Facebook by clicking the picture below. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment