Saturday, February 16, 2013

Artist Spotlight: Kyle Hotz

      Twelve years ago I met Kyle Hotz at a local comic book shop. At the time I didn't really know who he was other than just some artist. However as fate had it, a few of my friends were in the process of filming a local film called "The Watchers," which will be due out later this year. My friends, knowing my love for comics, mentioned they had been working with someone who was in the comic book industry. They gave me his name, I added him on facebook as a friend, and I slowly fell in love with his dark style of art. About a month went by and I hadn't thought much of it, but upon looking at my wall I saw this picture.
     For years this picture had been in my possession hanging on my wall. I remembered the day when I went in to my local comic shop, I was only 15 at the time, and this was right after the 9/11 attack in New York. Some local artist had made these lithographs and was giving the proceeds to help with the recovery in New York. I emptied my pockets and realizing that I only had fifteen of the twenty dollars needed, I rushed out to the car and asked my Mom for five dollars. After some convincing that her money would be going to a good cause, she relinquished the money. I rushed back in and purchased my number 15/911 limited edition lithograph. A year or so went by and I eventually got the picture framed and have had it hanging on my wall since. As the years went by I grew curious about the picture and although it was signed, I could only make out the letter K in the signature. It wasn't until a few month ago that I dug deeper into solving this mystery. Alas I just asked Kyle if it was his work and he confirmed that it was his; upon which came the story of that day, bringing back a flood of memories of a better time when comics and high school were the only worries a 15yr old had. Regardless, Kyle Hotz is a wonderful guy, I really look forward to meeting him again at this years Gem City Comic Con. I highly recommend you guys check out his table if you plan on going.

No comments:

Post a Comment